The Vancouver Sun Run committee recognizes the importance of being environmentally responsible and is dedicated to reducing the carbon footprint of our event. Incorporating environmentally and socially responsible practices is an important part of the operational planning, preparation and execution of the Vancouver Sun Run. Learn more about our event’s initiatives below and help us continue to make the Vancouver Sun Run a leader in event sustainability. We’re proud of the work that our spectators, volunteers, participants and staff have done to ensure our event is a leader in sustainability year after year.
The Vancouver Sun Run is proud to have donated more than $3.23 million in charitable proceeds the past 38 years. The Vancouver Sun Run promotes charitable fundraising through our participant pledging program. This year’s local charitable partners are:
- BC Cancer Foundation
- Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver
- BC Epilepsy Society
- Charlford House Society
- Family Services of Greater Vancouver
- Greater Vancouver Food Bank
- Heart & Stroke Foundation
- Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon
Inspiring the next generation and promoting youth fitness, The Vancouver Sun Run has developed a Youth Team division which allows our youth to participate in our 10k event at a reduced rate.
A catalyst for community involvement and volunteerism, The Vancouver Sun Run involves nearly 1,500 volunteers and several school/community groups.
We encourage participants to donate their used warm-up clothing by simply leaving them at the sides of our start line. Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver picks up the clothing which is then donated back to the community through different shelters around Vancouver and others are sold in thrift stores to generate money to support their programs.
Bicycle to The Sun Run:
Whether you’re looking for a fun and affordable way to get to the Vancouver Sun Run start line, commute to work, run errands or explore the city, navigate Vancouver by bike with Mobi by Shaw Go. The bikes can be unlocked from one station and returned to any one of the 200+ stations conveniently located near popular attractions and public transit stations. Find the membership that’s right for you.
To view our recycling certificate please click here.
Did you know that the 2022 Vancouver Sun Run achieved 97.1% waste diversion? 494kg of Cardboard, 1327kg of Compost, 264kg of Soft Plastics, 290kg of Refundables…. you get the idea! With a collaborative effort from runners, vendors and Green Chair team, 337.9 bags of garbage were diverted from the landfill!
For this year’s race, look out for the Green Chair recycling stations on route and throughout the finish area. To help us achieve the same (maybe better!) we need your help; whether you are a participant, a spectator or a volunteer. Here are some simple things that everyone can do to help us achieve zero waste:
- Only take what you need! A lot of uneaten food is thrown away at events
- This applies at the water stations too; only take a cup if you need a drink
- Bring a reusable drink bottle or cup to use
- Avoid using disposable energy gel packs. These can’t be recycled and cause a significant litter problem. Reusable versions or alternatives are available!
- Recycle, recycle, recycle! Clearly labelled recycling stations will be located on the route and in the finish area. They will be supervised by friendly and knowledgeable volunteers. Take all your waste and recycling to these stations.
- Don’t forget to recycle all items that you take home from the event. All materials are compostable or recyclable! If your unsure simply ask our volunteers before you leave!
- Bring your small hard-to-recycle items from home for recycling. Green Chair are offering all participants and spectators free recycling for batteries, cell phones, small electronics and lightbulbs.